Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Soggy GX100 update

Well, yesterday I slipped the battery and memory card back in the GX100 to see what would happen. I hit the power button and the camera began to power up but the lens didn't extend and the "remove lens cap" warning appeared on the LCD. Well, at least the LCD is working.

I gave the camera couple light knocks on the steering wheel hoping to break something loose and magically the lens extended...things are looking up!

Unfortunately there is no image displayed on the LCD, it's black except for the image info. It works fine if I want to display images from the card on the LCD so it must be that no light is getting through the lens. Looking a little closer at the lens I could see a few water droplets inside and I can also see that the shutter appears to be stuck shut and never opens. Bummer! Everything else seems to work fine but without a shutter it's not good for much. I guess my next step will be to contact Ricoh and see what can be done about it.

Oh well, I can't let a little thing like this spoil my trip. I'll just have to spend some more time with my DSLR when I want wide angle, which is never a bad thing.

No comments: